Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Closing Post



Here I would like to summarize everything that I've achieved in this blog, in the accompanying class, and everything I’ve done in between.  It’s been a very busy, challenging, and productive semester for me, and I’m very happy that I’ve learned so much and gained so much skill at doing what I love to do most: drawing bodies.  I remember looking forward to this life drawing class a lot, and looking back it’s held a lot of unexpected surprises.  I had expected to have to do gestural drawings, but I never fully understood what that meant.  I never knew that I was going to learn how to draw life, bodies, and shapes in a completely different way that the hard wired space/negative-space/texture method I had been employing for so long.  Sure, there were elements of what we had learned in class in my work previously, but they were scattered and lost, never really sure if they were working or not.  I now feel like I have a powerful new tool to use whenever I engage in some good, quality form-finding.  After getting to know how to use a drawing tablet, doing uncountable works in photoshop, flash, illustrator, and on physical paper across just about all of my seventeen credits of classes this semester, I feel nearly twice as powerful as an artist which is something I wasn’t entirely expecting.  It was a combination of hard work, personal dedication, reflection, independent study, self-exploration, and coming to class every day.  

As far as the immediate work represented in my final portfolio for life drawing one, I feel both proud and disappointed.  There are some very strong works that I’m very proud to have learned how to achieve, but at the same time I don’t quite feel the same spark that I felt when compiling my midterm portfolio.  Back then I felt like I just couldn’t choose which drawings to include, because I was so happy to have made all of them, but at this point I almost had difficulty getting five gesture drawings and five long drawings.  I had to blur the distinctions between the two to get a satisfactory set.  Now this may simply be because we did a lot more direct model drawing in the first half of the semester.  It could also be that my understanding of how the whole life drawing process is done has sharpened and my standards have been raised, making it seem less like everything that came through my left hand was pure gold.

Still, I’m excited to have a collection of drawings like these with my name on them.  The link to the final portfolio set is here and above:

No comments:

Post a Comment