Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Concept Art and Ribs/Scapula

I've got a couple of things I'd like to share in this post.  The first is another study done with a skeleton manikin.  This drawing was a long drawing done with the intent of learning more about the bone structures involved along the shoulders.  I had a lot of fun with this one, as it was both a pleasure to draw something that stands still and a challenge to try to capture something as complicated and significantly quantified as the ribs.

I felt successful in that I was able to attempt the ribs and have them come out of the process looking reasonably well with some sense of roundness or form to them.  Obviously some improvements could be made to the vertebrae.  The scapula has some interesting qualities to it and it was a challenge to become fully acquainted with it in this drawing.  I admire some of the organic qualities I was able to pull out of the humorous, althoug I still think some of the curves came out overstated.

This is a bit of concept art I did for a Games in Education class I have currently.  It's very abstracted and cartoony but I still incorporated some elements that I picked up from this class.  My entire mentality for creating round forms in the bellies of some monkeys or the ridiculously overstated arm muscles of the big ape are all centered around  creating the right form by surface contour and axis lines rather than simply capturing the right profile and shape.  It may not always make it's way into the paper, but it's definitely the way it plays out in my mind as I make the shapes with my pen.  For those curious, the game is centered around teaching kids how to make graphs and their relationship with algebraic equations.  The monkey with the over-sized biceps tosses the smaller monkeys at bananas, with the paths of these throws being dictated by whatever equation the player sets up.  It's an interesting idea, but I was happy to have an opportunity to draw some absurd muscles that are hopefully a little more rooted in reality than they would be without this class.

1 comment:

  1. i think you were very successful in not only representing the bones accurately, but also makeing them feel like bones. they dont feel super smooth and polished, but like they are alive.... or were.

    ReplyDelete